DHS Reverses Course: TSA PreCheck Remains Operational

Editor’s note: An earlier version of this story has been updated to reflect new statement from DHS

In a fast-moving reversal Sunday, the Department of Homeland Security said TSA PreCheck remains up and running — just hours after announcing the program would be suspended as part of a broader agency shutdown, Reuters reported.

“At this time, TSA PreCheck remains operational with no change for the traveling public,” a TSA spokesperson said in a statement. “As staffing constraints arise, TSA will evaluate on a case by case basis and adjust operations accordingly.”

The about-face came after DHS had announced late Saturday that both TSA PreCheck and Global Entry would be suspended starting at 6 a.m. ET Sunday — a move the agency said was necessary to redirect staffing and resources during an ongoing partial shutdown now entering its second week. That announcement, first reported by the Washington Post, set off a wave of alarm from travelers, airlines, and the broader travel industry. The hasty move seemed to catch some airports off guard, as social media reports early Sunday morning prior to the TSA walkback indicated PreCheck was still operating as normal at airports like Boston, Newark, and Tampa.

The status of Global Entry — the Customs and Border Protection program that allows pre-approved international travelers to bypass standard customs lines — remains less clear following Sunday’s update, which addressed only TSA PreCheck.

The partial shutdown began February 14 after Congress failed to reach a deal to fund DHS amid a standoff over immigration enforcement policy. About 63,000 TSA agents have continued working without pay since the lapse began.

Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem had framed Saturday’s suspension announcement in stark terms, saying DHS was “making tough but necessary workforce and resource decisions” and placing priority on the “general traveling population.” She blamed congressional Democrats for the shutdown, calling it the third time the department had been shut down during the 119th Congress.

The reversal adds a layer of uncertainty for travelers already dealing with a chaotic Sunday. Airlines had canceled more than 6,000 flights through Monday as a major winter storm bore down on the East Coast, and airports up and down the Northeast were bracing for significant disruption.

Industry groups had sharply criticized the original suspension announcement. The U.S. Travel Association called it “extremely disappointing,” and Airlines for America CEO Chris Sununu said the programs were being used as “a political football,” adding that travelers had been given little time to prepare.

TSA PreCheck, which counts more than 20 million active members, and Global Entry, with more than 12 million enrollees, have continued operating through previous government shutdowns — making Saturday’s announcement an unusual escalation. Sunday’s partial walkback suggests the agency may be feeling the pressure of that criticism, though the TSA’s caveat that it will “evaluate on a case by case basis” leaves open the possibility of disruptions ahead if the shutdown drags on.

Programs are expected to fully resume once DHS funding is restored, the agency has said. There is no set timeline for a deal in Washington.

Related Stories

TSA Rolls Out New ID Compliance for Airport Security

TSA’s $45 Fee Option for Travelers Without REAL ID Begins Feb. 1

U.S. Travel: The Government Shutdown’s $6B Toll on the Economy

New TSA Program Speeds Up U.S. Travel from Heathrow


Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *